AUSTIN – ROUND ROCK – SAN MARCOS MSA
May 2017 Job Postings Report Overview
- Lots of hiring. 5,400 more people employed between March 2017 and April 2017.
- Many job openings, but fewer than a year ago. 41,100 Available Job Postings during May 2017, or 2,100 less compared to May 2016.
- Job postings in May 2017 is lower than May of past three years. The Austin MSA saw more than 42,000 Available Job Postings in 2014, 2015 and 2016 but is below 42,000 in May 2017.
- Demand for Tech talent remains high. Software Developers-Applications replaced Registered Nurses as the top posted occupation since March 2017. The annual median wage for Software Developers-Applications in the Austin MSA increased from $99,420 to $105,150, according to the data by the BLS.
- Plenty of middle wage jobs available. Ten of the Top 20 occupations posted require less than an associate’s degree as the typical education needed for entry, representing about 6,400 postings. All but two, Retail Salesperson and Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners, posted an annual median wage of $30,000 or more in the Austin MSA.
- Unemployment tops 36,100. According to the Texas Workforce Commission, the Austin MSA reported an unemployment rate of 3.2% or 36,100 unemployed in April 2017. This represents an decrease of 5,200 unemployed compared to March 2017 which had a 3.6% unemployment rate or 41,300 unemployed. In April 2017, the number of unemployed (41,300) was slightly greater than the number of Available Job Postings (39,600).
- More jobs ahead. Several companies recently announced new location or expansion plans in the Austin MSA including about 580 jobs. The list includes Zenoss, Visual Lighting Technologies, Urban Mining, Republic National Distributing, Novarti Technologies, Northwestern Mutual, LeanDNA and Fathom Water Management.
- Austin net job growth ranks 10th. The Austin MSA reported an annual job growth rate of 2.9% or 28,900 net new jobs in the 12 months ending in April making Austin the 10th fastest growing major metro.