Business Development

In addition to Leander’s 25-plus square miles, there are almost 45+square miles of Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction (ETJ).  The City and Chamber have documented 95 site locations within the community totaling almost 8,400 acres for residential, mixed-use and industrial development.  For a current look at available property, visit here.

Texas continues to rank as one of the nation’s most favorable business climates based on its low tax burden and competitive regulatory environment. Aggregate costs for real estate, energy and wages are below most states in the country. Historically, the two major reasons business and individuals move to Leander are the quality schools and affordable living. Texas has no personal or corporate income tax, and overall has one of the lowest state and local tax burdens in the nation.

Starting a Business

There has never been a better time to start a business in Leander, TX.  Below are a few resources to help you.  In addiiton, our Chamber of Commerce provides edcuation and is a resource center for SCORE, providing counsulting services free of charge.

Things to do:

  • Registering the name of your business: You must obtain an Assumed Name Certificate (DBA) at the County Clerk after verifying that the name you have chosen has not already been registered in the county. Contact the Williamson County Clerk at (512) 943-1515, 405 Martin Luther King St, Georgetown, TX 78626-4901. For filing instructions click here.
  • State Sales Tax Permit: Business involved in selling, renting, leasing or providing taxable items or services must obtain a Sales Tax Permit from the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. This office also assesses the annual state franchise tax from Texas corporations. There is no cost to obtain the sales tax permit.
  • Employer Identification Number (EIN): The federal tax number is required by all businesses except sole proprietorships with no employees. This number is used to file Employer Tax Returns, make deposits of employment taxes, and file business tax returns. This number is obtained from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and there is no cost for the number.
  • Employer requirements: Besides obtaining the EIN and depositing payroll taxes, employers must comply with several other requirements. The state unemployment rate is paid to the Texas Workforce Commission. Employers should also contact the U.S. Department of Labor, Wage, and Hour Division and OSHA Division, regarding employer requirements including display of certain posters that can be easily seen by employees and applicants. Also contact the Texas Department of Insurance and the Texas Worker’s Compensation Commission for information about workers’ compensation requirements and classifications.
  • Incorporating: Articles of incorporation must be filed with the Secretary of State Corporations Section. There is a $300 filing fee for Texas corporations.
  • Licenses and Permits: To determine if your business requires local, state, or federal licenses or permits, contact the Economic Development and Tourism Division in the Office of the Governor. This division has a directory for all the occupational Texas licenses and permits, and also has information about local and Federal requirements.
  • Business Property Taxes: Property tax must be paid to the county appraisal district on tangible personal property used to produce income. Business owners must report all inventory, equipment, and machinery. The report is filed annually between January 1st and March 31st. For property in Hays County, contact the Williamson County Appraisal District  at (512) 930-3787, or visit their office at 625 FM 1460, Georgetown, Texas 78626-8050.
  • Self-Employment Tax: Because FICA is not withheld from self-employment earnings, self-employment tax is paid to fund social security and Medicare benefits. For more information regarding Self-Employment Tax, visit the IRS website.